This week’s Open Thread.
* Zach Goldberg, the guy who coined the “Great Awokening”, is now blogging at Substack. You should give him a follow.
* Alex Tabarrok observed that it is “depressing” that you’d have done better investing in Dogecoin this year than in Pfizer. I think this is a function of (1) vaccines being priced in, and (2) populism was never going to allow Big Pharma to extract significant profits from Corona vaccines, so furthermore, it was never even going to be worth much in the first place. In fact, pharma as a whole not only underperformed Dogecoin or crypto, but even the stock market as a whole. If the vaccines were created to “enrich” Big Pharma, as conspiracy people claim, they sure were not very competent at the “enrichment” part.
* TIL. Wikipedia – Complaint tablet to Ea-nasir. (h/t Daniel Chieh). The original salesman from hell.
It’s pretty funny, but a large percentage of the early Russian birch-bark manuscripts also concern various kinds of commercial disputes. E.g., one from 1025-1050:
The most amusing of these is a letter written by a guy called Zhirovit to another guy called Stoyan demanding the repayment of a nine year old debt of 4.5 grivnas. Otherwise, he threatened to sue Stoyan and to seek confiscation of his property. According to linguistic clues, Zhirovit is very likely a non-Novgorodian, perhaps from Smolensk, Vitebsk, or Polotsk.
* AP: The NFL says it will halt the use of “race-norming” — which assumed Black players started out with lower cognitive functioning — in a $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims. The practice had made it harder for Black players to qualify. Commenting such things is tiring at this point, and probably worthless. “Those who know, know.”
* Insomniac Resurrected:
- Black Sun Azov Magazine With Protasevych Will Earn you a Zucc
- If Your Facebook Profile gets Tagged by Fact-checkers, Your Ass Will be Shadow-blocked